Acar Campur (Recipe)
- 1 fresh red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onions, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 inch cube terasi (shrimp paste)
- 4 macadamia nuts or 8 almonds
- 1 inch fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup of corn, sunflower, or olive oil
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup white cabbage
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1. Place the pepper, onion, garlic, shrimp paste, Macadamia (or Almond) nuts, and turmeric in a food processor. Blend to a paste-like consistency.
2. Heat the processed paste mixture in the oil for two minutes. Add the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, while preparing vegetables.
3. Cut carrots into desired bite-sized shapes. Cut green beans into short, even lengths. Separate cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Peel seeded cucumber and cut into bite-sized cubes. Cut cabbage into bite-sized pieces.
4. Blanch each vegetable separately in boiling water for 1 minute. Rinse in cold water to halt the cooking. Drain well.
5. Add the vegetables to the boiled paste sauce. Gradually bring the entire mixture to a boil. Cook for 5-10 minutes. [Do not overcook - the vegetables should still be crunchy.]
6. Remove from heat. Add the peanuts to the mixture and cool.
7. Once cool, cover and chill for at least 3 days before serving.