Alfredo Sauce (American) (Recipe)
- 1 3/4 cups (400 ml) heavy cream
- 6 tbs. unsalted butter
- 8.5 ounces (240 grams) grated Parmesan cheese or asiago cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- Pinch of fresh-ground nutmeg
1. Combine 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) cream and the butter in a pan large enough to accommodate the sauce and later the pound of pasta.
2. Heat over a low flame, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the cream comes to a bare simmer.
3. Remove the pan from the heat once the butter is evenly incorporated into the cream.
4. Cook the pasta, draining it a little before it reaches the al dente stage. The pasta should be slightly undercooked before being added to the sauce because it will continue to cook while the sauce is being finished.
5. Drain the pasta.
6. Add the drained pasta, 1/2 cup (100 ml) of cream, the cheese, the salt, the nutmeg, and several grinds of the pepper mill to the pan
7. Heat the pasta and sauce over a low flame, tossing continuously, until the cheese melts into the sauce and the sauce thickens slightly, about one to two minutes. You can add chopped parsley as a garnish mixed into the sauce.