Arroz con Pollo (Recipe)
- A 1.3 to 1.8 kg chicken cut into serving pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 4 cloves of fresh, minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 225 g diced red bell pepper
- 425 g (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 7.5 g (1/2 tablespoon) sweet paprika
- 14 g (1/2 oz) chopped cilantro
- 1.4 liter (6 cups) chicken bouillon
- 8 saffron threads or 1 teaspoon food coloring for yellow rice
- 370 g (2 cups) medium or long-grain rice
- 225 g (8 oz) canned peas (thoroughly drained)
1. Season the chicken with two pinches of salt and a pinch of pepper.
2. Pour enough olive oil into a large skillet to just barely cover the bottom.
3. Sauté chicken in oil until brown. There are two ways to proceed from here: Either remove the chicken from the skillet or keep it there.
4. Sauté garlic until brown. Be careful, garlic burns easily.
5. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and paprika. Sauté until the vegetables are tender.
6. Transfer the ingredients to a large stewing pot.
7. Add the cilantro, bouillon and saffron (or food coloring). Bring to a rolling boil.
8. Add the rice and mix well. Simmer over medium heat until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Add more broth or water if the liquid evaporates before the rice is cooked.
9. Add the chicken to the pot (if you removed it previously) and cover it with rice. Wait two to three minutes to allow the chicken to warm.
10. Sprinkle peas on top of the rice.