Asian Grilled Salmon (Recipe)
- 4 (6-ounce) (170 g) wild salmon filets with skin, pin bones removed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs red pepper flake
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbs basil chiffonade
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs curry paste
1. Process all ingredients except herbs and salmon until smooth. Pour into plastic bag and add salmon; toss to coat. Seal, getting as much air out as possible, and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
2. In four hours, preheat 4 1/2 lb. (2 kg) charcoal in chimney. Disperse evenly around the bottom of the grill and reapply grate.
3. While charcoal heats, remove salmon from marinade. Discard remaining marinade. Let sit at room temperature until coals have heated.
4. Once the grate is hot, quickly swab the grate with the towel. Add salmon to the hottest part, skin side up, and cook 3-5 minutes per side for medium, turning 90 degrees halfway to mark.
5. Remove to a plate and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let rest 5 minutes.
6. Move salmon to warmed individual plates, sprinkle with chopped herbs, and garnish with citrus wedges, if desired. Serve immediately.