Asparagus with Sesame Seeds and Soy Sauce (Recipe)
- 20 to 32 asparagus spears, preferably thin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame seed oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sesame seed (If available, use Gomasio instead, and omit the salt.)
- Kosher salt
1. Prepare steamer and bring water to a boil.
2. Trim asparagus spears in half, discarding (or composting) the thicker ends.
3. Steam the asparagus for 8-10 minutes, until tender, but still crisp.
4. Heat a small skillet or frying pan on medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and shake or stir. They are done when they just begin to darken and give off a pleasant toasted aroma. Be careful not to leave unattended as they can easily burn.
5. Remove asparagus from steamer, shake to drain water, and arrange on serving plate.
6. Drizzle the soy sauce and the sesame oil over the asparagus.
7. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and give a very light sprinkle with the Kosher salt.