How to Drive Long Distances Alone
Always loved driving but have no company? Or did you always like being alone but don't know how to enjoy a drive by yourself? Or is it that you cannot stay awake during long drives? This will help solve all this!
1. Get into the car knowing your own presence, respecting yourself and feeling good about the whole drive.
2. Ensure you have a good music system in place. Even if it is not a car stereo or deck, a simple MP3 player or an iPod with portable speakers can do the trick.
3. Have a good stock of water, juices and snacks to munch on. Avoid salty snacks. Fruits are always preferable. They not only give you energy but are also tasty in-between-meal snacks.
4. Ensure you have your car checked up for oil, water and other essentials. Even small things such as a rag cloth or a first aid kit can make a difference.
5. Drive at an easy pace - not too fast, not too slow. You must not be in a hurried state of mind. That will only tire you quickly and make it even more difficult for you to sustain yourself throughout the long drive.
6. Drive to the pace of soothing music. On long drives, the last thing you would want would be to subject your ears to rock or metal music in short bursts. This will only increase the fatigue factor and induce boredom at critical moments. soulful rock or instrumentals are the best.
7. Do not eat too much. have light meals but eat at regular intervals. You would not want to drive on an empty stomach. That would be disaster as driving is energy sapping. Lots of fluids throughout the journey is the best way to tackle the situation.
8. Take the road that is MOST traveled. Though this is contrary to the popular maxim, do not try out new and dangerous roads even if you have the vehicle to do it. Inclement weather coupled with rocky roads is a deadly combination.
9. Do not constantly time yourself. This will only stress you out. Take each mile as it comes. Some might take a while whereas some might get over before even you know it!
10. Even if it is hot/cold outside, open a window every once in a while. Fresh air can wake you up and keep you alert.
11. While some might argue this point, use cruise control on open roads to avoid speeding tickets. When you are driving on a plain unoccupied road, it is very easy to go too fast.
12. Enjoy your drive! Long drives are one of the best ways to relax and be with yourself! You will actually get to know yourself better!